OrganizedWisdom stays abreast of trending health topics and the most popular search phrases to bring you timely and relevant digests called WisdomCards. The diverse hot topics this week include bed bugs, iPods and hearing loss, Salmonella, new cancer drugs, and ADHD linked to video gaming and bug spray.
- Hearing Loss and iPod Use: One in five teens aged 12 to 19 are suffering from hearing loss. iPods and other personal stereos could be the culprit in many cases.
- Treatment for Salmonella: With more than a half-billion eggs recalled, Salmonella and the safe handling of tainted foods is on our minds. Did you know the Salmonella bacteria is on the eggshells and passed through handling the eggs and not the cooked eggs?
- What Do Mites Look Like: With bed bug infestations on the rise, many want to know what mites look like. With recent news, the phrase “bed bugs photo” continues to climb in search traffic on the Web.
- ADHD Linked to Pesticides: Researchers say that moms being exposed to bug sprays in heavy concentration during pregnancy can lead to ADHD in children.
- Turmeric Benefits: Turmeric, a key ingredient in curry, has long been known to have health benefits as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. The side effects of turmeric can include upset stomach and diarrhea. Interestingly, turmeric, or Indian saffron, was originally used as a dye in India. Later its medicinal and dietary properties were discovered.
- Yoga Clothes: Yoga clothing is an important part of the yoga program because the wearer must be able to bend and stretch comfortably. Today's yoga wear includes clothing made from organic cotton and moisture-wicking breathable fabrics.
- Green Homes: In the era of eco-friendly living, green homes have become highly sought after. Many people search daily for information on green living, green home building, energy-efficient appliances, and recycled materials for homes. Do you know what the most popular search phrase is that includes the words "green homes"? If you guessed "contemporary green homes," then give yourself a pat on the back!
- Obesity United States Statistics: Obesity rates have risen dramatically in the last 20 years, with 25% of adult Americans being obese. As popular as the topic of obesity statistics is, "medical conditions related to obesity" is even more highly searched on the Web today.
- ADHD Linked to Video Games: What many moms have suspected with regard to ADHD risk and video games now has study findings to support. Researchers recently analyzed video-gaming and television habits of over 1,300 children and have linked ADHD with video-gaming habits. Children who play more than two hours of video games daily are one and a half to two times more likely to develop attention disorders.
- New Cancer Drugs: New cancer medications offer hope for many. On average, it takes 8.5 years for a drug to be tested prior to FDA approval. Many new cancer drugs are currently being studied in clinical trials. Two examples are crizotinib for certain patients with lung cancer and ipilimumab for patients with advanced melanoma.
Past blog entries on trending health topics or popular health searches:
By Julie Bohlen, MBA, ELS